Another great recipe, thank you Jenny Camilleri
- 150 gms bio-oz buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Apricot jam
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup castor sugar/li>
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup ground unsalted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
Takes , serves 6.
Apricot jam warmed
To make pastry
- Mix flour sugar, add butter mix with a fork till crumbly
- Add egg yolk almond essence and water knead lightly
- Roll into a ball and roll out out a rectangular shape between 2 sheets cling wrap.
- Put in the fridge for about 1/2 hour.
- I use a rectangular tin approx 12cm x 36 cm and I blind bake my pastry in a hot oven 180deg for 15/20 mins
- Remove from fridge and line base and sides of your quiche tin with pastry. You can try and roll it out to fit but I find you can just press the disc into the base and sides.
- You can blind bake the pastry in a 180deg oven for 15 mins or put filling straight into the pie crust then bake. Either way is fine.
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs one at a time, add vanilla and almond essence, gently fold in ground almonds, pistachios and buckwheat flour.
- Spread a thin layer of apricot jam on the base of pastry shell.
- Carefully spread the filling over the jam,
- Arrange sliced apricots on top of the filling pressing them into the mix slightly.
- Bake for approx 25/ 35 mins in a preheated 160 deg oven till set and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately brush with warmed apricot jam. I like to sprinkle my tart with some edible flowers.
- Cool on a wire rack, serve with cream/ice cream.