Bio-Oz Sourdough Pizza with Spelt
A super tasty pizza recipe with Bio-Oz e3 Spelt Flour - a rich nutty taste - combined with the complex flavours created by the sourdough leavening process to produce a delicious crust ... try this at your next pizza party!
- 500g Bio-Oz e3 Spelt® White Flour
- 1 x tsp salt
- 50g Semolina
- 200g Sourdough starter* (active)
- 325ml water
- 50g Olive oil
Pizza topping ingredients the list is endless, starting with a spicy tomato base we used combinations of: Buffalo mozzarella cheese, chopped garlic, olives, prosciutto ham, peperino, red onion, artichokes … make it your own!
Takes , serves 6-8.
- Mix all the ingredients, including the 200g of mature starter, mix together by hand, until everything is incorporated and form a ball.
- Scrape the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for 3-5 minutes, if the dough is a little sticky sprinkle with a little flour.
- Place dough ball in a lightly oiled bowl, and rub the top and sides of the dough with a little oil and cover, I like to use a diner plate to cover to save using plastic.
- Leave the dough in a warm place to rise until it has doubled in size – roughly 2-4 hrs*
- Divide dough into 6 portions, roll into balls, place in a well-oiled tray, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from fridge and shape each piece into 6 round pizza disks**. Place the shaped dough on parchment paper sprinkled with extra semolina.
- Cover and leave to rise to your preferred thickness ( 30 minutes to 1 hour - depending on room temperature)
- Preheat oven with pizza stone to 260 deg.
- Add your preferred toppings and bake for 7 to 10 minutes (depending on thickness.), a longer bake (10- 15 mins ) will make the crust thicker.
*To speed up the dough rise you can add 1/2 teaspoon of instant dry yeast to the mixture. If you don't have sourdough starter substitute this for 1 x 7 g sachet of dried yeast.
** Any leftover dough balls can be frozen for up to 3 months
Enjoy with friends!
PIN this recipe!