This orange cake is a little richer than the basic butter cake but so delicious.
- 1 cup of Bio-Oz e3 Spelt® white flour
- 125 g of butter
- Grated rind and juice of one orange
- Extra orange (or lemon if you run out of orange as I did) thinly sliced to top cake when baking
- ½ a cup of castor sugar
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Icing sugar for dusting
Takes , serves 4-6.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 19 x 9 cm loaf tin with melted butter and then lightly dust with flour.
- Cream the butter add the grated orange rind* and beat in sugar until light and fluffy add the egg yolks one at a time and beat well.
- Whisk together Spelt flour, baking powder and salt, fold into creamed mixture alternately with strained orange juice.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and fold the mixture in.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 35 to 40 minutes turn out on a wire rack and cool.
- Lightly dust with icing sugar
- Enjoy warm or cold.
* you can substitute the grated orange for lemon for added zing.Share with friends ... if you have to.